advice for beginners please

SafetyMeeting67

Jan 28, 2021
long island ny
im new to flat track though i have experience in supermoto and roadracing. i was wondering how necessary a slipper clutch is on a 450 mostly riding hard pack short tracks. any other expert advice for beginners appreciated. thanks!

Reactions: Far West Fast Eddie

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
This sport has a 100+ year history. Slipper clutches have been around a couple decades at most. Does THAT answer your question? ;)

Seriously, if you're "new to the sport," the most important thing you can do is RIDE! Riding dirt tracks especially, but moto or even street riding are better than sitting on the couch. Set a goal to ride every day. Even if it's just around the block. Your #1 tool in the box is confidence. Confidence in your own abilities. Confidence in your bikes abilities, and confidence in knowing your limits - and expanding them! That only comes from experience. Someone can tell how it's done, but you have to work out how YOU do it yourself. Everyone has a slightly different style because that's what's comfortable for them. Anyone can do this. Doing it well, as with doing anything well, takes devotion to developing your unique craft.

Good luck and I hope to see you on an oval somewhere soon.

Reactions: horosho

jerry57g

Dec 11, 2020
The only thing I heard from a guy who was sponsoring a pro rider is that the clutch has a different effect when letting off to enter a turn. Not detrimental just one thing to learn when using one. It took some riders by surprise when the bike didn't slow down entering a corner as much.

Bweighmaster

Oct 23, 2021
Probably not the best choice for beginners .. If you like engine braking , Its not nearly the same ... Like the difference between 2 / 4 strokes...on a trail or MX track ...