Another beginner question

Ajustingtime

Dec 29, 2020
Hi all. I want to get started but not really sure how/where to start. I've done the RE slide school twice now (it's a blast and good for all experience-wise) and I want to get into an actual event. I'm still fairly new to motorcycling (I've been riding for about three years) and still very fresh to racing (again, RE slide school is it). What are some recommendations in terms of bikes, events/tracks (I'm in western VA), etc.?

Thanks!

Adam_Lesley

Dec 2, 2020
Hi all. I want to get started but not really sure how/where to start. I've done the RE slide school twice now (it's a blast and good for all experience-wise) and I want to get into an actual event. I'm still fairly new to motorcycling (I've been riding for about three years) and still very fresh to racing (again, RE slide school is it). What are some recommendations in terms of bikes, events/tracks (I'm in western VA), etc.?

Thanks!
If you don’t have a line on a bike, picking up a bike that has already been converted into a flat track bike will probably be the best bang for your buck when you are first starting out. The pick up a hot shoe and find a race nearby and sign up.

Ajustingtime

Dec 29, 2020
If you don’t have a line on a bike, picking up a bike that has already been converted into a flat track bike will probably be the best bang for your buck when you are first starting out. The pick up a hot shoe and find a race nearby and sign up.
Thanks! I tend to overthink stuff like this. Going with something already setup does make the most sense.

Any recommendations for places to get a hot shoe?

RGXR

Dec 11, 2020
Thanks! I tend to overthink stuff like this. Going with something already setup does make the most sense.

Any recommendations for places to get a hot shoe?
I am not on facebook but you can go to VFT.org and find the "for sale" section. I have seen boots/steel shoes for sale on that site. Hopefully you can find someone selling there Boots/Steel Shoe in your size. Good luck !!!

Olddog07

Jul 18, 2021
RPMPromotionsLLC

oupa

Dec 20, 2020

Thanks!

Contact AMA dist. 7. (http://www.amadistrict7.org/) I'm not sure where the spilt is. You may be outside D7, which covers MD, DE, & (part of) VA. Depending on where in western VA. you are, there's LOT's of district racing not all that far up I-81. There is a race (or several) just about every weekend somewhere in MD. or PA through October. Not a lot of racing in VA that I'm aware of but it's heating up! There will be a Steve Nace event at the Woodstock VA. (Shenandoah Co.) fair on Aug. 28. and another at Ashland on Oct. 23 promoted by former Nat'l numbers John Nickens and Mike Hacker. (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rva-flat-track-capital-city-speedway-tickets-162848126129) We're (short track) racing at Timonium MD (MD St. Fairgrounds near Baltimore) the next two Saturdays.

Best advise I can offer is just jump in! Don't be afraid to let everyone know you're new to the game and you'll be surprised at how welcomed you are. Pick an appropriate class and make your goal having fun and learning. You'll go home having done both. ;)

EDIT - Go to your local bike shop and ask if there is anyone nearby involved in dirt track. Then call or go see him. There have been A LOT of great racers from VA in the past. Most racers active and especially retired, love to talk racing. Who knows what you may discover. Concerning motorcycles in general though, motorcycle guys know other motorcycle guys. Ask those you have access to (the local shop) and chances are someone will know someone who can help. You may also want to send a message to Johnny! Yeah, he's busy as a one-armed paperhanger just now but I don't think he sleeps so... maybe he'll have something for you. ;)

Last edited: