Barnes rear hub bearing spacer length?

pcnsd

Dec 4, 2020
I'm looking for the distance between bearings in a old school Barnes type QC hub. I think I'm measuring about 3 inches minimum, but it occurs to me that maybe 3.125" to 3.25" may be the better choice and place the bearings a bit wider in the hub. Since these were designed in the Imperial measurement era something on a whole number or major fraction makes the most sense. Any one know for sure?

GO Frames

Dec 22, 2020
I would measure the space between shoulders and add a 64th to the inner spacer to allow for crushing over time. In the case of a hub
with a circlip outside the bearing the inner spacer could be longer than the space between shoulders. The wheel should turn freely .

pcnsd

Dec 4, 2020
So... after reviewing the existing crushed aluminum spacer, I opted to replace it with .090" wall 4130. I started with a length of 3.25" and worked my way down to the 3.063" final. The new spacer is about 25% heavier than the aluminum spacer it replaced.

Barnes bearing spacers.jpgBarnes bearing spacers.jpg

JE94

Dec 19, 2020
Thanks you for posting this info,i just went to the bearing supply house and figured out the difference in the bearing sizes,the center collar is missing out of the Barnes QC hub,

jerry57g

Dec 11, 2020
I always just made mine to "fit" each wheel seemed to be juusst a little different.