Flat track ingredients?

oteimoto85

Jan 23, 2021
Hi folks.

Please excuse my ignorance but I've been looking all over the Internet and simply cannot find the info I need.

I live in the UK and want to build my own flat track course for me and the boys.

But I can't find any info on what the correct blends of materials should be to create the right surface. Sand?...sand and shale?... I have no idea.

It'll be created from a grass field and then I guess you have to roller in sand or shale and keep it watered and graded in summer.

But there's very little info out there to help with not goofing it up.

Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to the sarcastic answers!! 😆 🤣

Tim.

Reactions: Far West Fast Eddie

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
Mmmmm. :unsure: :rolleyes::(

Dirt track preparation is somewhere between science, art, intuition and voodoo. I'm certainly no authority but do you wish a packed, hard surface or a loose "cushion" track? What is your existing soil like? Simply having a track is #1. Having a track without rocks big enough to cause race stopping injuries is #2! :cool: Every improvement from there is just that much more better.

pcnsd

Dec 4, 2020
Start with a review of your current base. How would you characterize it's primary attributes? Loom, clay, sand, gravel, decomposed granite, etc. Then consider what you want for a track. What equipment will be available to maintain the track? That will play into track type. Blades allow anything, drags...not so much. See above regarding rocks... They hurt!

rats

Dec 14, 2020
Hard tracks are mostly clay, I believe. What you have, under the weeds where your track is going to be, seems likely to have a high clay content. Why not make your track out of what you've got, and revisit the subject of surfaces if you don't like the existing dirt?

Reactions: oteimoto85 and oupa

oteimoto85

Jan 23, 2021
Thanks for the replies folks.

Apologies for the late reply. No notifications 🤷‍♂️

What do you mean by "cushioned" track?

I think the suggestion of making the track with the dirt we will have is probably a good one. It's in Lincolnshire so will have quite a high clay content i believe.

The land is very agricultural in the area.

With regards to maintaining the track I guess equipment would be improvised so probably a case of drag rather than blades.

simon walsh

Dec 13, 2020
Thanks for the replies folks.

Apologies for the late reply. No notifications 🤷‍♂️

What do you mean by "cushioned" track?

I think the suggestion of making the track with the dirt we will have is probably a good one. It's in Lincolnshire so will have quite a high clay content i believe.

The land is very agricultural in the area.

With regards to maintaining the track I guess equipment would be improvised so probably a case of drag rather than blades.
Where abouts in Lincs - thats where i am based

simon walsh

Dec 13, 2020
Will do - seriously though i think the key in our neck of the woods is try and get some drainage incorporated (or build it on the side of the Wolds!) - or it turns into a lake for 6 months of the year!!!
Cheers Simon

oteimoto85

Jan 23, 2021
Yes, I did think about the drainage and how to incorporate it.

My plan is to build a dirt track oval with TT centre section then in future and when the considerable funds required become available, build a tarmac one around it that would allow it's use in the overall track.

Just like supermoto was when it started.

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
otie, Glad you finally came back to reply! I was beginning to wonder if this was even real.

Anyway... I'm a bit confused. You mention improvised equipment (which is okay!) but then mention some rather ambitious long-term plans. :oops: Once again, that's great but originally I thought this was just someone cutting a practice track into his backyard. Doesn't sound that way anymore. How much land are you working with? How long a track do you envision? 1/10, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 mile??? Since it sounds like you are talking about a genuine commercial venture, have you checked government regulations? It be a shame to get half-way into this with money invested and be issued a cease and desist order. Even worse to get it up and running, even successful and THEN get shut down. :mad: Stop #1 is the halls of government and acquiring their blessing! No fun, but you'll be glad you did later. ;)

Oh and uh... a "cushion track" is one with a loose surface. Similar to a speedway track. Often covered in what is casually referred to as "pea gravel" a finely ground stone product. Coarser than sand, finer than gravel. The roost on a cushion is often compared to a shotgun blast. One reason is because the shit coming off the wheels is the same size as shotgun shot and going almost as fast, but in a MUCH larger quantity! o_O Typically they are horse tracks. The loose surface literally, "cushioning" the pounding horse's hooves! Find a youtube of Lima, or Du Quoin. I left a couple photos in the "Show us your..." thread here, from cushion tracks at Frederick Maryland and York Pennsylvania (USA) for some idea. (y)

Good luck and keep us informed! I've never been in the U.K. longer than to change planes. Maybe it's time? :unsure:

oteimoto85

Jan 23, 2021
Hey, Oupa!

Yup... I really exist. I've even raced at Willow Springs and ridden Laguna Seca and Infineon or whatever they call it these days? 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for clarifying the cushioned track part.

The track will be built in approx an acre and as I said is just for personal use (though we'vegot to buy the house yet... nothing wrong with being prepared though, eh!!)

The tarmac would probably need planning permission but again would just be for personal use and training in winter. The youngest lad wants to start racing and the property is only 10 miles from Cadwell Park so is ideal.

We'd maybe look at a commercial side but to be honest I'd be happy just letting mates come round ride, bbq and get drunk. In whichever order suited the ambulance availability at the time!! 🤭😂

I did a flat track school and loved it, so to have one of my own would be great and also good for the boys to learn the art.

Reactions: oupa