Flat track ingredients?

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
We'd maybe look at a commercial side but to be honest I'd be happy just letting mates come round ride, bbq and get drunk. In whichever order suited the ambulance availability at the time!! 🤭😂

On the thread mentioned in my previous reply, there are a couple of videos (slide shows technically!) of just that sort of thing. It was done for several years, on a 1/10 mile "practice track" cut into a mate's backyard. He did exactly as you are - chose this house because it had space for a track. :LOL: Anyway, it was much fun. In fact we even named it "The ______ International Raceway," as there was one guy who came down from Canada! ;)

If you saw the dirt track at Willow Springs, it's a cushion! Here's one of my favorite clips from there.
BTW, not all "cushions" are created equal. Some are deep, some so thin they get "brushed off" so you end up racing on the clay subsurface. Sometimes you see one low on the quasi-groove and one high in the (pushed up) cush - side-by-side with one another! Um, yeah, I LOVE cushion racing. Does it show? :rolleyes:

Reactions: oteimoto85

oteimoto85

Jan 23, 2021
I had no idea they raced dirt track at Willow. From the video it looks like the fans were spectating from the main straight on the big track?

Did they run the flat track on the streets of willow track outer edge?

Willow was a crazy track, especially in the afternoon when the winds got up and tried to push you wide as you tipped in to turn 9? flat in 6th. Didn't have any medical insurance either. 😆 🤣 🤦‍♂️

Saw your slide shows. That's pretty much EXACTLY what I have in mind.

You'll have to come over and bring Ed with ya. He looks like he could tell a tale or two over several beers!! 😎👍

oteimoto85

Jan 23, 2021
No problem - good luck with your house purchase and project. Like yourself i live 10miles from Cadwell and have raced there many times since 1997
Keep in touch
Regards Simon
Will do, Simon.

What classes did you race in and with which clubs?

simon walsh

Dec 13, 2020
I have road raced with the CRMC (Classic Racing Motorcycle Club) since 1997 on all sorts of bikes - British ,Japanese ,2 stroke , 4 stroke , 1 -4 cylinder
Relatively new to Flat track- started in 2017 with DTRA on Honda CRF 100 and Honda CB 350

oteimoto85

Jan 23, 2021
I have road raced with the CRMC (Classic Racing Motorcycle Club) since 1997 on all sorts of bikes - British ,Japanese ,2 stroke , 4 stroke , 1 -4 cylinder
Relatively new to Flat track- started in 2017 with DTRA on Honda CRF 100 and Honda CB 350
CRMC has always looked like a cool paddock.

The FZ600s are very popular. There's a guy called Dominic Clegg racing an FZ600 that I used to race with in the Ducati Desmodue series.

Odgie

Dec 10, 2020
North West UK
www.odgie.com
If you can in touch with George Pickering who owns/built/runs Greenfield, he's your man. He has track samples from all over the States, he's very, very much the track expert, and he's not that far from you. But it his track is clay and I imagine fairly maintenance heavy, and cushion might be eaiser for you to start with (although you'd still need a clay base). Also get to Scunthorpe Raceway when we start racing again, and speak to Rob, the track owner, he built his track from scratch as well. Plus it all depends how much time/effort/money you want to put into it of course. But it's a grand thing to be doing.. ;-)

oteimoto85

Jan 23, 2021
If you can in touch with George Pickering who owns/built/runs Greenfield, he's your man. He has track samples from all over the States, he's very, very much the track expert, and he's not that far from you. But it his track is clay and I imagine fairly maintenance heavy, and cushion might be eaiser for you to start with (although you'd still need a clay base). Also get to Scunthorpe Raceway when we start racing again, and speak to Rob, the track owner, he built his track from scratch as well. Plus it all depends how much time/effort/money you want to put into it of course. But it's a grand thing to be doing.. ;-)
Cheers, Odgie.

All great advice and George would definitely be a great source of information if he has soil samples.. lol. Is that legal? 🤷‍♂️😂

Biggest problem is dealing with estate agents right now to try and tie down a suitable property!!

Reactions: Odgie

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
While it's been out there for a year, I just read this entry from Johnny Lewis (Moto Anatomy / Slide Academy / Nat'l #10) and it made me think of this post. Johnny goes to considerable "depth" explaining how he built his track... you'll get the implied joke when you read the blog post. ;)
Good luck! Hope the track is coming together... and that's NOT a joke!

Reactions: Peter421

Klaver76

Dec 3, 2020
Interesting thread. I live in Victoria Australia and have had my own practice track for the past four years. I started off just dragging tyres around and riding the track and eventually the surface ripped up and started becoming smother. I then got bought a tractor with a grader blade. This was a game changer. I now mainly use a combination of three truck tyres pulled behind my ute used to smudge the track after grading. I also have a roller that I use when I do a big prep once or twice a year depending on how much we are using it. I am still using the dirt that was there when we bought the property, it can be a bit hard to keep moisture in during summer but hey we are in Australia. I use two 1000 letter containers and our dam for the watering with a small fire pump. During winter I do get puddles which I use as practice at taking different lines to get around them. Trying to drain the track would be a nightmare. I just skim with the blade if it's to bad. The main thing I have found is don't make it to perfect. Because I get more benefits from riding a rough track. When you hit a pro track you can fly and when the track gets rough you keep flying and everyone else freaks out(unless they are the top of there game and just ride hard everywhere) anyway my advice is start small and slowly improve. A big prep for me takes about 13hrs and a normal prep about 1 to 3hrs depending on use. We have 14 different combinations now hence the prep time. Just a tip just focus on the layout you are going to use on the day if you end up having multiple layouts as it saves alot of time water etc. I hope this was helpful.

• Love
Reactions: Peter421 and oupa

Mikeytx

Apr 13, 2021
Hey

oteimoto85, remember to lay out the proper configuration which as it was explained to me as 2 circles with the diameter touching in the middle of the infield such as a sideways '8'. The overall lenth will be dictated by the lenth of the radius of the circle. Most would agree that you don't want to end up with a paperclip, ie long straights with tight turns​

Reactions: oupa

rats

Dec 14, 2020
Further superuseful advice, thanks Mikey.

Anybody know? Is the Lodi 1/4-mile laid out as described above, and are the north and south* turns' radii the same? It's almost certainly a personal problem (my depth perception sucks), but the flat north turn ALWAYS looks a bit tighter than the high-bermed south.

* My sense of direction sucks, too. I think the track is oriented N/S. ... ?

pcnsd

Dec 4, 2020
I don't know about the Lodi track, but the Perris short track appears to be a 1/5 mile track on the outside. It uses shortened straights with the distance removed from the straights added back into the turn radii. This assumes a standard oval description of a distance divided into 4 equal segments (2 half circles separated by 2 straights). The Perris straights are about 70% of the expected equal segment. Its total outside length is 1020 feet, just a bit short of a 1/5 mile (1056 feet). I have a spreadsheet setup to provide a basic oval track layout. There are only 2 inputs. 1. Total track length, 2. Percentage of straight reduction. It suggest the radii and straight lengths as outputs.
PM me with your email address if you would like a copy.Perris Short Track.jpg