Flat tracker drawings

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
NN, I am in awe at your talent.
This is not a request! However... I ran across this guy while doing research last year. I have not found ANY background on the photo but it just speaks volumes about the pre-1930 race scene. The lack of what we'd consider vital gear today. The extinct brand. The fairground setting and especially that look! That look of fearlessness, confidence and determination. This was the beginnings of flat track racing. Dozens of brands and hundreds of wannabe riders racing dusty horse tracks for bragging rights and a new tire if they were lucky. Speedway and Motordrome racing was as big as major league baseball, but every little town had a local team and many of them had a fairground track that served the same purpose as the local ballfield. These are the guys who made dirt track racing a sport that continues today, 100 and more years later.

Don't know if you can find the same inspiration in it I did but I'm hoping! ;)

Anyway... here he is.
Reading Standard.png

Little Fauss

Dec 23, 2020
NN, I am in awe at your talent.
This is not a request! However... I ran across this guy while doing research last year. I have not found ANY background on the photo but it just speaks volumes about the pre-1930 race scene. The lack of what we'd consider vital gear today. The extinct brand. The fairground setting and especially that look! That look of fearlessness, confidence and determination. This was the beginnings of flat track racing. Dozens of brands and hundreds of wannabe riders racing dusty horse tracks for bragging rights and a new tire if they were lucky. Speedway and Motordrome racing was as big as major league baseball, but every little town had a local team and many of them had a fairground track that served the same purpose as the local ballfield. These are the guys who made dirt track racing a sport that continues today, 100 and more years later.

Don't know if you can find the same inspiration in it I did but I'm hoping! ;)

Anyway... here he is.
View attachment 359

Wow, look at that seat! Can you imagine coming off the back of that and what that would do to some pretty precious real estate on your body? And I thought we were brave for flat tracking with crummy little plastic visors back in the 70s.

AHRMA92

Dec 9, 2020
Very nice drawing. I remember the initial build / remake of the Mike Gerald Astrodome racer that Don "Donzilla" Miller did back in the mid 90's. It was a multi article build that spanned 3 "Old Bike Journal" magazines. One of the neat things that 'Zilla did was replicate the cross-over shifting linkage to the Right side.
The build was later sold to Greg Bastek who raced it & then stashed it away in his collection for quite a while. Maybe 2-3 years ago, he sold it to Mark McGrew of M3R racing.
In the 90's I raced one, a very early Schwerma XL250 (according to chassis serial numbers stamped) in a few select AHRMA events.
It's not near as nice as the drawing, or the one that 'Zilla built.

Attachments

• Champion Schwerma XL250 MINE 2.jpg
    Champion Schwerma XL250 MINE 2.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: NervousNovice125G