Honda Cb350 Flat tracker

simon walsh

Dec 13, 2020
Hi,
Ive built and race a 1970 honda cb 350K4 flat tracker that i race with DTRA in the UK - can you help with any info on anybody who has or is still racing one in the states?
Regards Simon

simon walsh

Dec 13, 2020
Wow, stunning bike-i have road raced cb350 for the last 17yrs - inc the IOM \TT so after watching on Any Sunday whilst enjoying THC i decided to build my own flat tracker - will post some pics soon
Simon

Reactions: Ross Munro

Ross Munro

Dec 2, 2020
Nice build. :)
Thanks David. Led Szmek aka Panther Frames de-raked the chassis and we had an intense 3 day fab session. He made all the various mounts for the tank, fender, footpeg brackets,brake pedal & linkage and the 2-1 exhaust. He and I have been friends since 1971 when he ran over me at a local indoor - lol

Reactions: Odgie

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
Any photos of your brake hanger tab? You use the original swing arm plate or weld-on something new? :confused:

Ross Munro

Dec 2, 2020
If you are referring to the torque arm mount I used the original tab on the swingarm near the pivot.

Attachments

• BRAKE LINE - 02.JPG
    BRAKE LINE - 02.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DAY TWO - 03.JPG
    DAY TWO - 03.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN2109.JPG
    DSCN2109.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 28

g31m

Dec 16, 2020
I'm about mid way on my build. I'm staying as close to stock for the begining. With mods to come later.

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
1968 Honda CB / CL 350 : Historical perspective

For 1968, Honda's new 350 models superseded their ever-popular 250 / 305 sloper twins.

I was up for a CL and ready & capable except for one minor problem. I wasn't old enough to ride one legally.

When I told my Dad I was going to buy the new model he said - " Not here, son. " A few months later I bought a Harley Panhead, but that's another story.

Some years ago I found a near mint ' 68 CL 350 on eBay. I had one already with a damaged cam chain and decided upgrading was the way to go.

When the smoke cleared, I'd " won " the auction by ONE CENT. The second place bidder raised Hell and the seller wanted to pay me several hundred to cancel.

I told him it was still his bike and either sell it, or don't. He chose to honor the transaction.

The cycle had some unique history. It had been purchased new by a Naval officer stationed in Yokosuka, Japan. He sent the CL back home and wasn't able to return until 1970. The Vietnam War was the hang-up.

After that, he never put many miles on it. I guess the wait was too long and the thrill was gone. Whatever, I'd waited for a " new one " for over 40 years.

When we picked up the motorcycle I was handed the owner's book. A paper fell out. It was the bank draft issued to the Lieutenant from Chase Manhattan Bank in Tokyo, Japan

The interesting part was the price - 198,000 Yen. In 1968 the exchange rate was 360 Yen to the US Dollar. That made the price paid a whopping $ 550.

Here's the point : The thin rice-paper receipt proves the extent to which our money has been devalued. The banksters have screwed us left & right with no end in sight. It's just the way it goes.

The Honda is totally original. It still wears its original tires and won't be modified. Those were the days.

Here we go :

Honda, 1968, CL350, 1.JPG

Honda, 1968, CL350, 2.JPG

Honda, 1968, CL350, 3.JPG

Last edited:

simon walsh

Dec 13, 2020
Hi,
What a fantastic bike - the 350 i have road raced in the UK for the last 16 years is a 1970 CL350 import from the States.I often wonder whether some surf dude rode it along the Pacific Coast Road- having visited California once lets hope somebody did
Regards Simon

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
Well, you never can tell, but many did !

16 years is highly commendable. Good job !!

As for being a surf dude, I qualified a little. A young teen living in Texas was limited by Galveston and Freeport ( Surfside ) but we did alright. IOW, nothing to brag about, but more than a participation trophy. Padre Island was included a few times. The notable thing was running the dirt trackers flat-out on Galveston's East Beach. In those days ( 70s ), there was no development and freedom. It was Wide Open. Cycles were everything from small-bore Yamahas, Bultacos ( of course ), Honda Elsinores, & my Champion XS with Shell components. The 750 was my favorite. Purchased the frame kit new from Gary Booher at USC,. The Ceriani RR fork and other bits came from Neil Keen. Wheels were R/W items made in Oklahoma. The East end points to where the ships pass in route to the Port of Houston, etc. The West Beach is where we'd hang & surf. Good times !

simon walsh

Dec 13, 2020
Hi,
Thanks for the reply - sounds like you had some awesome times - currently building a second road racer and thinking about a hard tail 350k4 build. ..............

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
What's inside the motors ?

Before I found the mint CL, I had a pair of 350 projects.

There's been a lot of work invested to clean everything and repaint the motor castings as Honda originally supplied.

I purchased quite a few performance parts. One cam is Megacycle's 13,000 RPM item with the housings converted to needle bearings.

The #1 project was an SL-K2. I was debating the direction to take. After buying the CL, I took a break.

Later, I found a NOS K2 cam and decided to build that motor as original. It's close to being finished.

Project #2 is a late CL which will be assembled with the hot-rod components. I didn't like the spring kit and need to buy something different.

Kibblewhite parts should do the trick.

The CL chassis will be pretty standard. It should make for a healthy-running, early 1970s style off-road scrambler. Cosmetics & paint are original.

The SL-K2 chassis has new paint, Franks' fork tubes, Koni shocks per originals, and appropriate details. Call that one a super stocker and fully equipped. Replica exhausts will be needed and they are a bit pricey when available. The tank could use a fresh coat of " Panther Gold " paint.

Last edited: