How much do they have??

jerry57g

Dec 11, 2020
Just wondering the horsepower of the Indian/Kaw/Yam and various other twins running AFT. I've heard of some monstrous figures.

pcnsd

Dec 4, 2020
Jerry,
Anyone with real knowledge will be covered by a NDA. That said, it is fun to speculate and that is all I have.
Things that are known:
Spec. fuel, Displacement limitation, Normally aspirated, FI, 4V, and the approximate limits of current technology for type.
Thing that is unknown:
Sustainable RPM/piston speed a team is willing to risk.

So... My best guess is we are looking at 2.5 to 2.8 HP per CI or somewhere in the range of 112.5 to 126 horsepower.

What have you heard?
Are they still intake restricted?

Last edited:

Eli

Nov 28, 2020
California, USA
Jerry,
Anyone with real knowledge will be covered by a NDA. That said, it is fun to speculate and that is all I have.
Things that are known:
Spec. fuel, Displacement limitation, Normally aspirated, FI, 4V, and the approximate limits of current technology for type.
Thing that is unknown:
Sustainable RPM/piston speed a team is willing to risk.

So... My best guess is we are looking at 2.5 to 2.8 HP per CI or somewhere in the range of 112.5 to 126 horsepower.

What have you heard?
Are they still intake restricted?

Can't remember actual numbers, but from who I've talked to the ones at the head of the field aren't high numbers.

Some top finishers are well below 100hp.

Horsepower is not the only thing that makes you go fast in Flat Track.

pcnsd

Dec 4, 2020
Eli,
I can accept this with the understanding that we are talking RWHP and not CSHP in this case. I should have specified in my response above, I was referring to CSHP. 100 RWHP will be ~118-120 CSHP. 95 RWHP will be ~ 112-114 CSHP. In the 2016 linked article below, Matt Hines stated."the teams talk rear-wheel horsepower (RWHP), and say it now takes 95 or 100 of them to run up front."

https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-d...racer-motorcycle-review-exclusive-first-look/

ambike

Dec 10, 2020

jerry57g

Dec 11, 2020
I know that a few years ago the XR's could run only @90-95Hp. This was due to more Hp chewing up the tire in a single 25 lap race. Chris Carr and others always were quoted as racing 140mph on an 80mph tire. More than 95Hp and you couldn't get hooked up you were just spinning. I watch the Indians and notice that they are hooked up and gone. I always was a fan of better suspension than more Hp. So I had heard the Indian was running around 125Hp. BUT better able to get it all to the ground. Case in point to the XR's was Kopp's win in Prescott, AZ on the Ducati at the end of 25laps most of the tire had cord showing, you could see from the stands that he spent most of the back stretch just lighting it up and not going forward.