Importing Classics / Bultaco saga

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
I've been motoring " hands-on " for over 50 years. Started young enough and still going strong.

Own more cycles than anyone needs.

Regardless, until late 2019 I'd only imported one cycle. In years past, I'd sold quite a few to foreign sources, but I never handled the logistics.

The message here involves a Bultaco with which I had months of trouble from shippers & local agents.

Attempts by sea or air had me enduring a full course of idiotic BS. Examples include an agent who'd already received all info & photos asking if the Bultaco motorcycle had a motor, to a broker at DFW demanding my full credit info even though I was trying to pay them with a Certified Check in advance. No, those Italians didn't need to stick their noses in my accounts. A Cert Check is not issued from any major bank like mine without funds being drawn immediately. The bank honors the check, not the individual party who's already paid.

Anyway, long story short was solved by contacting Schumacher a second time. I'd tried them months earlier but a communication error pushed me away. I'll take the blame for not working thru that. The second time hit pay dirt and they quickly had my crate on a ship from Auckland and headed for the States.

Bottom Line : Whether an import or export is needed, I'd recommend Schumacher above others. So far, so good !

Now the Bul isn't a dirt tracker, but it is a Bultaco so maybe it's interesting to a few ?? It's Ginger Molloy's TSS 125 factory mount raced during the 1968 season in FIM GP events. He finished a highly commendable 3rd overall.

Here's the machine :

Bultaco TSS 125, Molloy, 1.jpg

Matching sandcast cases :

Bultaco TSS 125, Molloy, 2, VIN.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RGXR

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
Thanks !

Just for grins here's a vid showing Ginger's line-up.

His bikes begin at : 31 and it runs plenty fast. So, changing the setting speed to its slowest rate helps.

He definitely had the collection looking sharp.

The 125 and 360 were his official " works " models.

Last edited:

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
Follow Up : The ship made LA's port on 12-31.

The port is busy. It was finally able to dock & was unloaded by 1-11-2021.

Why is everybody buying so much from China !

FWIW : A TSS racer is a little more pricey than the finest Astro. In the Big Picture that doesn't matter. I always admired Molloy for his talent, independence, and loyalty.

Last edited:

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
Follow up :

Finally, Molloy's TSS was delivered yesterday, Friday, 2-5-21.

With Schumacher's team, everything averaged out, They did a great job.

Communications were excellent and nothing was damaged or " lost ".

The cycle looks good. All systems appear to be in order & almost ready to run.

That was a long haul.

Astroracer17

Dec 17, 2020
Really enjoying following your Bultaco saga...how about a video of the TSS first start-up on American soil? Would love to hear that unsilenced stinger sing!

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
Howdy racer,

Thanks for your message. I really appreciate the interest.

I need to do a few minor things before bumping it off. ( petcocks are tight & fresh fuel lines should be installed )

Yesterday I checked it over pretty good. It has spark ( Motoplat ), good compression, all six gears appear to shift properly, and the clutch & controls work smoothly.

The motor rotates and feels right but you never know. Ginger had gone thru the motor.

It appears that it was run recently but that would have been no later than a year ago.

I purchased the cycle in Sept., 2019. Several months passed before the cycle went to an agent for crating. After that is when the " comedy " began.

In the beginning, I asked if Ginger ran gasoline or methanol. I'm almost certain it was gas. I need to find out and I'd rather not open the carb, so I wrote to NZ.

Ginger's wife, Claire, has always been good with replies.

I have to admit that I personally don't have a way to video the happenings. Yeah, I know, but I've never tested my flip-phone's capability.

I'll see what I can arrange to produce a decent blurb with full audio.

But wait, there's more :

The photo showing the motor casing needs a comment :

I know plenty, but I don't know everything. From the get-go, I asked about the M100 designation. I was informed that the actual factory racers were stamped with the M100 code. Ginger raced it originally ( obviously ) and had owned it for the duration. Many ( most ? ) of the production TSS motorcycles are stamped with M600. IOW, it is not to be confused with a production model M-100 Pursang 125, c. 1973

For his 3rd Place overall in the 1968 Grand Prix series, Molloy was awarded the appropriate medal. It is a medal that can be pinned on and worn. From the attachment bar, there's an FIM medallion hung by a blue ribbon. On its face, the year 1968 is stamped and on the back side is G. Molloy 125 cc. The FIM medal and a trophy earned for his 2nd place finish ( 125 class ) in the Spanish Grand Prix, ( May 1968 ), was included with the sale. I'll get photos of the items.

Astroracer17

Dec 17, 2020
Wow, Bultaco Saga indeed! What a heap of patience you must have! But worth the wait I think, what an interesting piece of history to own and enjoy. If it ran even a year ago, I'd think you should be in pretty good shape.

Don't feel bad about not knowing how to video with your cell phone - I just got my first ever i-Phone a few months ago. I'm the original old geezer that resists change till it's do or die. A video would be terrific if you can manage it - if not - post plenty of regular pics!