Pandering Makes Me Sick

ambike

Dec 10, 2020

Sorriest crap I've read. ( admittedly, the night is young )

Keep it up, guys.

More globalists' bullshit !

You get 25 centavos of sponsorship ....

And they'll still be flying in their private jets to the next Epstein's island. lmao !!

The rest of us will be taxed to pay more for their pedo party.

New Idea : Hire that ugly little retarded girl, Greta. The new scowling face of AMA " pro " racing.

Think I'll go dump some Castrol in the gutter.

" It's for the ( masked ) children. "

AHRMA92

Dec 9, 2020

Sorriest crap I've read. ( admittedly, the night is young )

Keep it up, guys.

More globalists' bullshit !

You get 25 centavos of sponsorship ....

And they'll still be flying in their private jets to the next Epstein's island. lmao !!

The rest of us will be taxed to pay more for their pedo party.

New Idea : Hire that ugly little retarded girl, Greta. The new scowling face of AMA " pro " racing.

Think I'll go dump some Castrol in the gutter.

" It's for the ( masked ) children. "
I agree Eli & how great it was back in the days, before the Woke made it Broke. cw

Attachments

• Blendzall whiff meme owl (2).jpg
    Blendzall whiff meme owl (2).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Far West Fast Eddie

Flathead

Jul 29, 2021
I know, how about we just run electric motorcycles!! You can almost hear the thundering whisper on the front stretch from here!!

And just like that, the Indian is obsolete... You're Welcome.

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
I hate pandering to, but then that HAS become the mantra of ATF. Sure, sponsors expect exposure for their money and should. The podium recitals are a grating, but acceptable acknowledgement of their involvement. The billboard leathers have been part of the sport for decades. The sly (or blatant) working of sponsor's products into EVERYTHING said by a rider is getting a bit out of hand though. Mission makes good chips. Handing them out for free probably adds to how many ARE eaten, but from social media posts some might think Mission products have suddenly become part of every meal eaten by a dirt tracker. I doubt ANY sponsor will ever put the amount of money into the sport R.J. Reynolds did but how many cigarette plugs do you recall? AND just about EVERYONE smoked back then! Jared Mees' has had his little girl in on the act. Brandon Robinson's CAT is part of the Mission Foods program! o_OGeez, we get it guys, you appreciate the sponsorship. :( I get the whole "something for their money" thing. That's what makes the (successful) world go round. At some point though it becomes four hours of advertisements occasionally interrupted by spurts of racing.

As to the P.C. ("green") sponsor... Castrol has been a BIG sponsor of the sport forever. No team would hesitate putting their logo on their leathers... unless Castrol is seemingly advocating a cause with a goal of abolishing motor sports and the whole oil industry. :oops: Castrol I believe is the entity to point at, not Coolbeth-Nila Racing. This is like R.J. Reynold's advocating for abolishing cigarettes... uh, without the government forcing them to. :rolleyes:

It was what? Two or three years ago Sammy got sponsorship from a company selling CBD products. Non-intoxicating CBD products that are legal nationwide! And AFT banned it as "a bad example." Now they issue a press release with their collective chests pumped out, proud as peacocks that they embrace people who subscribe to an idea that internal combustion engines are going to send us all the way of the dinosaurs. It's easy to make prostitute analogies from all this but they would have to be high class Washington D.C. prostitute analogies, because it seems the "blue collar sport" has become irreversibly politically correct instead of simply supporting what they actually do - race motorcycles.

Little Fauss

Dec 23, 2020
I was holding onto flat track racing as a last genuine non-woke, honest sport. I'd given up on the major pro sports, tired of watching millionaires who've been stroked and worshipped all their lives condescend to us and tell us how downright oppressed they are. Thumb sucking, narcissistic babies. Had given up on NASCAR, which is run by an addled playboy who seems to be nowhere near as competent as his grandfather but lives off of his name (as Mark Twain said, "It is a great and solemn thing to have a grandfather"). That drugged up playboy is determined to make NASCAR an outpost of BLM. And now, the last hope, AFT, seems to be going the same way. They need to get the petty tyrants who don't understand flat track at all and probably don't care about it at all out of power and let people who love it run the show.

Reactions: Flathead

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
Well... keep in mind the same people who run NASCAR run AFT. ;)
THE guy in charge of it all for them, is a Brit who came to the organization from a sportscar and GP background. :rolleyes:
The former chief of racing manager - one of the royalty of classic Dirt Track motorcycle racing and a multiple-time champion - walked away in disgust. :(

We can hope and honestly, there HAS BEEN quite a few bright spots in the last few years, but the past ain't never coming back. This is flat track today. Where it goes tomorrow is anyone's guess. My best advise is find your local races... and enjoy them. Honest, grassroots racing for the sake of racing instead of big $$ and fantasies of fame.

Little Fauss

Dec 23, 2020
Well... keep in mind the same people who run NASCAR run AFT. ;)
THE guy in charge of it all for them, is a Brit who came to the organization from a sportscar and GP background. :rolleyes:
The former chief of racing manager - one of the royalty of classic Dirt Track motorcycle racing and a multiple-time champion - walked away in disgust. :(

We can hope and honestly, there HAS BEEN quite a few bright spots in the last few years, but the past ain't never coming back. This is flat track today. Where it goes tomorrow is anyone's guess. My best advise is find your local races... and enjoy them. Honest, grassroots racing for the sake of racing instead of big $$ and fantasies of fame.
Totally true, and you're right, I'd forgotten about the NASCAR link. As for the AFT leadership, this Brit guy thinks we're going to become Formula 1 and have a group of elites out there paying out big bucks to run and he is trying to fit flat track into that paradigm. This is proof in my mind that he's an incompetent buffoon and full of hot air and other things I don't want to spell out on a generally family-friendly site.

It's sad that it's not coming back. I remember tens of thousands at the Astrodome and regional races like the OKC half mile filling the stands during the state fair. I remember a hundred guys out there trying desperately to qualify for the big shows and darned good racers struggling to even make the show and having little hope of making a main and landing a national number. Even Gary Ketchum, basically a senior citizen and 40 years past a prime that never happened, got a national number. It's ridiculous. By the way, I mean no disrespect to Ketchum, back in the day he was the fastest young guy I ever saw, he was my hero as I was coming up a few years after him (and also never really had my own prime), and he was going to be the next great racer out of Oklahoma in the tradition of Gary Nixon and Ronnie Jones. But Ketchum hung up the helmet 40+ years ago yet was still able, nearing 60 years old and two seconds a lap off the pace, to get a national number a year or two ago. Amazing how much it has all fallen.

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
While AFT certainly has some issues (shall we say) with the traditions and past of the sport, we do have to be honest in that the audience isn't what it used to be either. Very simply, the baby boomers were THE largest American born generation - EVER! That this greatest era of the sport coincided with us living out our younger years is no coincidence. Add to that today's penchant for convenience in everything, including how we (they) expect to receive sports and we simply cannot expect the same old formula to yield the same old results. Even those of us who lived that era generally agree we want modern things like enhanced safety protocols. And of course there is money... It always comes back to that right? You just can't go racing with less than a $50,000 investment today. And at the top level, that only accounts for one bone stock bike!
I dunno the answer. But I'm darned sure that agreeing with questionable global entities that claim (traditional) racing motorcycles is going to end life on earth is not a good move. And certainly not one to be so proud you issue a glowing press release over it. :oops: I'm no scientist but I'm guessing the carbon footprint of the plastic bottles that warm fuzzy feeling oil comes in and that of it's advertising and distribution outweigh the carbon credits it earns.

Little Fauss

Dec 23, 2020
While AFT certainly has some issues (shall we say) with the traditions and past of the sport, we do have to be honest in that the audience isn't what it used to be either. Very simply, the baby boomers were THE largest American born generation - EVER! That this greatest era of the sport coincided with us living out our younger years is no coincidence. Add to that today's penchant for convenience in everything, including how we (they) expect to receive sports and we simply cannot expect the same old formula to yield the same old results. Even those of us who lived that era generally agree we want modern things like enhanced safety protocols. And of course there is money... It always comes back to that right? You just can't go racing with less than a $50,000 investment today. And at the top level, that only accounts for one bone stock bike!
I dunno the answer. But I'm darned sure that agreeing with questionable global entities that claim (traditional) racing motorcycles is going to end life on earth is not a good move. And certainly not one to be so proud you issue a glowing press release over it. :oops: I'm no scientist but I'm guessing the carbon footprint of the plastic bottles that warm fuzzy feeling oil comes in and that of it's advertising and distribution outweigh the carbon credits it earns.
True, those Baby Boomers aren't coming back anytime soon. You're certainly right about people wanting things quick and easy and nicely packaged today. So, I get the idea that AFT should ensure they can produce a show that runs about three hours or so. I even kind of like them throwing all those bikes on the track for qualifying rather than watching the one at a time thing that used to go on forever.

I understand the concerns about safety. Back in the 70s as a kid racing flat track I had a helmet way too big for me that was just perfect for breaking collar bones and necks in the event of a get off and one of those faceshields that did almost nothing. The local track had temp wooden slat fencing up around the track in front of the aluminum stands and if you got to tumbling down the straight you just might bounce right over that and land in someone's lap or plow right through the flimsy stuff. Had a friend who got paralyzed from the neck down at the age of 15. Of course, every year or two there was another national number or top expert who got himself killed or busted up beyond repair.

Those days may never come back and it sometimes seems like it's the 1930s and we're board track racing fans pining for the good old days that are dead and gone. Going to nationals is nothing like it once was and with the present format, I don't see how it's going to get better. Certainly trying to suck up to globalists who flit about in their private jets and leave carbon thunderbolts wherever they go and tut tut us and point their bony Pharisee fingers at us because we want to have a little grassroots fun and ride some dirt bikes is never going to work. I personally believe most of those hypocrites on high are just plain evil and could not care one whit about the planet or the environment. They care about themselves and their tyranny and control over us. Five of our last six presidents have been globalists and when you take a look around at the mess and the chaos, it sure shows, doesn't it?

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
First and foremost regarding your analogy, please consider that in the 1930's, most people had survival concerns outweighing motorcycle racing. You were darned lucky if you had a steady income! But, motorcycle racing survived it. By the second half of that decade it was actually thriving! The hype and nostalgia over board tracks is greatly over stated.

Sure, it was the second most popular spectator sport during its peak, rivaling baseball. It drew thousands of spectators. Calling everyone who bought a ticket a "fan" though, would be a misnomer. Most went to see the spectacle. There was no internet, no TV, and even radios were not in every household. "Sports" was live and in-person or something you read about the next day in the paper. In that atmosphere, a crowd draws a bigger crowd to see what's going on. THAT changes the whole dynamic. No comparison there... and I realize you weren't making one. :rolleyes:

Perhaps more importantly - and overlooked - is there were only around 20 board tracks in the whole country. EVERY county in every state had a fairground and most of them had a DIRT TRACK. Like today, it's not as sexy as more popular forms of racing (NASCAR, Moto GP, etc.). Most were in rural cities and didn't draw the massive crowds the (mostly) urban board tracks did. They did draw riders though! Class-A racing was primarily a showcase for the manufacturers. They wanted to sell motorcycles everywhere so they sent their teams... everywhere. Those fairground dirt tracks is where the majority of racing was in the teens, 20's & 30's and despite it STILL SURVIVING, (albeit mostly on car tracks) that founding era is ignored in favor of something that was in most ways, what many are complaining AFT is trying to do today. Make grassroots, blue-collar, home-town motorcycle racing into a highbrow convenient sport practiced in a handful of locations. No, I don't lament the nostalgia of board track racing at all. But I'd give my left nut to see Joe Petrali win the National Championship Race at the 1937 Frederick, Maryland 1/2-mile!

The more things change, the more they stay the same. :unsure:

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
I'm gonna tack this onto this thread rather than start a new one since it's kinda the same thing.

Now AFT seems to have a crystal ball... or maybe the "future" simply isn't so unknown as we once thought. This comes from the Sunday Oct. 10, 2021 AFT "news" on last nights Charlotte 1/2 mile (less than 10hrs. after the race).https://www.americanflattrack.com/news/view/mees-crowned-2021-grand-national-champion-dramatic-progressive-aft-finale

"Future Hall of Famer Mees now boasts the..."

Congratulations to Mees. He earned this one the hard way.
EVERYONE who finished that race was fortunate and we're anxiously awaiting news on those who didn't. :confused:
There are FIVE 2021 H.O.F. nominees. Jared is not one of them. Sure, his accomplishments warrant nomination AND acceptance... one day. But nothing is so sure in life and especially so in racing. Maybe I was triggered because of my emotions. Maybe they're talking about that (non-AMA H.O.F.) thing last Aug. in S.D. Maybe it was just an over enthusiastic (and uninformed) writer employed by AFT. Whatever the excuse, it's grating. I don't anticipate it and am NOT suggesting it, but Jared could encounter some embarrassing revelation that would DQ him from eligibility. That is the unknown of the future.

Well earned congratulations as well to Davis Fisher & J.D. Beach!!! Awesome performances on a not so awesome track. (y)(y)

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
I guess I'm missing a point.

" ....but Jared could encounter some embarrassing revelation that would DQ him from eligibility. "

Did he refuse a phony vaccination ?

Run a generator with a non-approved oil ?

Something he wrote about Joe B. & illegal immigration on facebook ?

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
I guess I'm missing a point.
I guess.

I hoped that I made it clear that this WASN'T about Jared. Apparently I failed. :unsure:

THE POINT is that unless I missed something, Jared Mees, as great a racer as he is, has not been nominated for the AMA Hall of Fame. As his career is far from over, that is how it should be. He may still do even greater things! He and Nicole's race promotion business comes immediately to mind. Being notable at that (they already are!) could be enough to nominate them even without a history as riders.
That's the unknown factor when talking about the FUTURE.
As not every great rider is given that honor, it seems a bit premature to be calling him a "future hall of famer."

But yeah, as you pointed out, it doesn't take much to find yourself innocently on the wrong side of political correctness these days... and it ain't getting any better. :(

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
I hear you.

re : " find yourself innocently on the wrong side of political correctness"

Somewhere in that book from long ago, there I am.

" political correctness " is a BS, made up term by some schmuck to make it sound like his screwee was not being screwed.

In my case it wasn't over money, but HS baseball.

All sports have politics. Always have, always will.

Have you ever heard of a player attending one school and playing for another ?

How ' bout being shuffled to a second school, and then being switched to a third location with even less status ?

Seemed like those in " power " knew a certain guy had a case and they didn't want legal trouble. Lawyering wasn't considered. Not then, anyway. Times were different. People weren't as neurotic and psycho as we see today.

It's OK, I kinda' liked the challenge. My official school had the top pitchers, I knew their stuff, and was motivated to pound them.

My problem started over my hair being a bit too long. The Gulf Coast didn't have much surf, but the amount it had was up. At least where I was concerned. Good exercise when possible and the scenery was always a bonus. We had a small pool.

The main coach had a brother who messed with me. After he popped my cap off a third time ( when running in from CF ), I told him if he did it again, I was going to F him. I doubted that I could, but I wasn't playing. He made his position known the first time. Twice was Enuff !

At the next practice I was canned.

Years later, I think the guy was a pedo.

I know one thing for certain.

I had a strong arm and that's why I played center.

If I punched that silly asshole as quickly & as hard as I could, his nose and teef would have suffered.

I wasn't playing ball to fight. I'm not tough. Didn't want to fight or like to. But I think he understood. One other tip. steel cleats can be sharpened. Guess what ?

OK, let's bend this spiel back to doin' it in the dirt. This site can use more content and the following has some dirt irony.

At my 3rd stop, the baseball coach was a solid, blue-collar man with no pretensions. He owned his own company and was not a full-time employee of that
school. He was contracted. We're on the right track. He asked about my positions played.

Center field.

He countered, we need a good fielder at Short. Can you handle it ?

I said , " Sure, but..... "

But what ?

I didn't tell him I loved dirt-biking ( I'd not raced officially ), I simply said I preferred the outfield. I knew not to bring up motorcycling lest we'd hear stereotypical remarks about getting hurt. You guys know the score.

He asked why.

I said, " I like running down long flies and making good throws against runners who think they can beat me. "

His reply went something like this : Oh, it sounds like there's some showing-off involved. You'll have more opportunities to throw out runners from short.

I nodded, and still didn't want to say I'd prefer not being in the damned dirt full-time. That is, unless I was riding. lol I only repeated I'd prefer center field.

The end was near. He gained tone and told me it's a team sport and the team needs a shortstop. What's it going to be ?

That was it. I shifted gears. " Yes Sir. You're the coach and I'm the new shortstop. I will give it my all. " You see, his son was the catcher. That means Short must be ready for runners stealing, or otherwise. Some will be coming in high & hard. No problem, that's the game. Good ol' dirt !

I had a decent year pounding my own schoolboys' pitching and near the end of what was my last HS game, I had a perfect set-up come my way. Couldn't buy a better one.

Runner on first, one out, and the batter hit a hard shot on my side close to second base.

The ball made two skips across the grass. There was not going to be any cloud of dust in my face. Only two quick steps were needed for a fast stab and grab and I stepped on the base for one out. And then I decided to savor the moment above the dirt. The batter was barely down the line. Had him beat by the " country mile ". My Mom & Dad were right behind first base. I could see them perfectly. Maximum photo memory. My Mom looked fine in a white dress and my Old Man grinned. As I raised my right arm to fire, I stretched my left and gave the V for " victory " as we're getting Two. I pushed off the base and fired the ball as hard as possible. I expected to pop the mitt with authority. I could say I hung a cleat and mis-stepped a little, but I won't. I sailed the ball over my first baseman's glove and the only sound was the ball chinking the wire fence.

Instead of a great 6-3 DP, all I got was E6. That's an embarrassing error on a super play because I celebrated before all business was handled. I had it won.

The coach said, " I knew it. You had me convinced you wouldn't try to style-out and look what happened when you did. "

Hang my head. There was no next game. There was no tomorrow.

My Dad shook his head. You blew the play. Mental errors are a weakness.

Moral is : A guy has to learn how to win. Never celebrate before crossing the finish line, Be patient and take things in order.

These PC weaklings, sickening soccer moms, and loser libbies afraid to hurt little feel-wings have been a bane to our society. We know the deal. There's no shame in making a mistake. Live & Learn. Do the right thing and the bucks will follow. Quit marking the deck. We're not blind.

Best ending : " shall not be infringed "

Last edited:

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
Umm, okay.

LOL!!!! Great story and not a bad moral to top it off. Thanks!

Problem is Mees didn't make the claim, AFT did. But I think you got that. ;)
That's why I stuck it on this thread. More of AFT's mainstream attempts to make something where it isn't instead of concentrating on what they DO have.
In total honesty, I think Jared's podium response to winning the GNC (no matter what they call it today) had to be the most reserved one I've ever seen. The proof of his sincerity was his visiting Halbert at the hospital. Don't think you'd see that if it was Rossi & Marquez in the same situation and THAT is what AFT wants. Even Briar, as laidback and friendly as he is, mentioned in an interview something about fans wanting (vicious) rivalries. NO WE DON'T!
We want to see them beat each other on the track... and leave it there. Sure emotions get up, everyone gets angry and it don't wear off as quickly as it comes on, but the whole goal of sport is competition and only one can win. If that's something anyone can't handle, they need to look for another outlet... well, except in the "everyone gets a trophy" sports. 🙃
Mees did what you said. Set his sights on the title and risked it all to accomplish it. A lot of people think he's arrogant for that attitude, but it works - for him. Everyone has their quirks. Their own personality. Not all are easily embraced.

I'm not thrilled with where dirt track is today or where it appears to be going (they hope), but it's the world we live in and I don't see anybody offering to buy AFT or start up a new series so they can run it like the old days. Some races I feel like the old guys in the box seat on The Muppets. 🕵️‍♂️

You're also right about the site needing more content. Wish I knew the secret to accomplishing that. It be a lot more fun!
I guess I'll just stick to solving AFT's problems. 🤣😂😆

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
" Wish I knew the secret to accomplishing that. "

You guys won't find me on facebook. To say the least, what I've seen of fb's format leaves much to be desired. Maybe if I was logged-in, it changes ? Whatever, doesn't matter to me because of their ulterior motives, agenda, and Bolshevism.

I think this site is independently run which I prefer.

The format is clean, fresh, & crisp. It looks great. Best of all, the site works efficiently.

Since there's no free lunch, I've been wondering if a small donation is in order. Yes ?

Reactions: oupa

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
I don't do FB either. I don't use it (normally) but I do have an account. It became necessary during a project I was involved in last year because simply, it is the only way some people communicate today! :mad:

To that end, I had been a staunch defender of them making rules for use of their site - any rules! I feel the same about this site or any other business. Social media though has evolved. As mentioned above, it has become a PUBLIC SERVICE provider. And it became so because of FB's own promotion of it! Like the phone company or newspapers, that changes the rules completely. People now depend on it for vital services. We're way beyond the time to change the regulatory rules applying to social media.

A non-binding "contribution" is a great idea! Put our money where our mouth is... kinda.:rolleyes::LOL:

Reactions: AHRMA92

AHRMA92

Dec 9, 2020
I hear ya oupa as I was on FB (mostly vintage racebike & Tuna fishing sites) from 2014 to 2018. After awhile it got to be problematic and somewhat time consuming.

No Regrets.

ambike

Dec 10, 2020
f-book changes name.

by pushing virtual reality, they'll suck headset wearing knaves deeper into the reality they plan to create.

meaning, the reality of their profiting as the capture of sheep runs deep.

seems to me, the tech of Zuk's brave new world of metaverse is not so new.

advancing their affiliation, and / or ownership of a cryptocurrency, is where the money's at.