Some Ron Wood nostalgia to see.

AHRMA92

Dec 9, 2020
Affirm Jim it's the earliest photo of it -still a little unfinished with the pipe bracket needing some detail. Not many photos of it exist either, but I did manage to get at least some, with the racers that had a chance to toss a leg over it & race it at either Ascot or Corona. Rex Barrett 21X, David Aldana 13 and last Rob Morrison 10E. From the David Aldana time, to the Rob Morrison time, the bike morphed a little more with Ron ditching the Preston Petty fender and side number plates. Ron constructed an inner-alloy splash-shield / rear fender unit that protected the Amal GP's & filter arrangement. Along with that mod, Ron also constructed some alloy side plates, with built-in number plates. Fortunately these were still with the "Basket Case" when I unearthed it in Bisbee, Arizona 2017.

The Basket, was minus quite a few pieces, when discovered. The original alloy gas tank was MIA and sadly used on a Chopper in the late 70's. Here's a photo of the current re-pop that was done, all based on photos that were enhanced to show every bit of detail & then measured-engineered to scale. Like everything Ron did, it was very unique & very well engineered. Flush cap fill, isolastic rubber mounting points x4 & drop-down feeder boxes for the twin petcocks. Next to last photo is is a close-up of Rob @ Corona with the newer side plate / number plate arrangement that attaches with Dzus fasteners.

Attachments

• C&J Ducati GAS TANK 121220 H2O (2).jpg
    C&J Ducati GAS TANK 121220 H2O (2).jpg
    790.5 KB · Views: 45
  • C&J Ducati REX BARRET for SURE (2).jpg
    C&J Ducati REX BARRET for SURE (2).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 44
  • C&J Ducati ALDANA at Ascot (2).jpg
    C&J Ducati ALDANA at Ascot (2).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 43
  • C&J Ducati Rob Morrison Corona half mile (5).jpg
    C&J Ducati Rob Morrison Corona half mile (5).jpg
    519 KB · Views: 42
  • C&J Ducati alloy sideplates 10E.jpg
    C&J Ducati alloy sideplates 10E.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: RGXR

Jim Crume

Dec 14, 2020
Affirm Jim it's the earliest photo of it -still a little unfinished with the pipe bracket needing some detail. Not many photos of it exist either, but I did manage to get at least some, with the racers that had a chance to toss a leg over it & race it at either Ascot or Corona. Rex Barrett 21X, David Aldana 13 and last Rob Morrison 10E. From the David Aldana time, to the Rob Morrison time, the bike morphed a little more with Ron ditching the Preston Petty fender and side number plates. Ron constructed an inner-alloy splash-shield / rear fender unit that protected the Amal GP's & filter arrangement. Along with that mod, Ron also constructed some alloy side plates, with built-in number plates. Fortunately these were still with the "Basket Case" when I unearthed it in Bisbee, Arizona 2017.

The Basket, was minus quite a few pieces, when discovered. The original alloy gas tank was MIA and sadly used on a Chopper in the late 70's. Here's a photo of the current re-pop that was done, all based on photos that were enhanced to show every bit of detail & then measured-engineered to scale. Like everything Ron did, it was very unique & very well engineered. Flush cap fill, isolastic rubber mounting points x4 & drop-down feeder boxes for the twin petcocks. Next to last photo is is a close-up of Rob @ Corona with the newer side plate / number plate arrangement that attaches with Dzus fasteners.
It was nice hearing from you buddy. Miss you on Facebook!

rats

Dec 14, 2020
Thanks for putting up those pics, y'all. What became of the R.W. Duc, I mean in racing terms? Did it not thrive?

Next ignorant question: Ron Wood or Ron Woods? Seen it both ways, a hundred times each.

AHRMA92

Dec 9, 2020
Thanks for putting up those pics, y'all. What became of the R.W. Duc, I mean in racing terms? Did it not thrive?

Next ignorant question: Ron Wood or Ron Woods? Seen it both ways, a hundred times each.
From what David Aldana told me when he gave it some saddle time at Ascot, was the transmission was clunky & the 2nd concern was the lean angle. Engine was real low & would plow the left crankcase in the turns. In the photos esp the colored one, you can see where Ron modded the left engine case to take care of some of this problem. What he did, might of not been enough. I'll have to get ahold of Rob Morrison someday (probably at a Trailblazers MC event) and ask him if he remembers any concerns he had.
He raced the Duc at Corona.

As far as the name it's Ron Wood. The name might have morphed -later when he created the Rotax bikes, with the term Woods Rotax used. Elliott might be able to help out a little better here with this.

rats

Dec 14, 2020
That must have been a nasty discovery -- the Duc's tendency to drag its crankcase. Thank you for the dirty story, Mr. 92.

Reactions: AHRMA92

AHRMA92

Dec 9, 2020
Exceptional attention to engineering detail -was the hallmark for these Ron Wood builds. This will be something I'll try to accomplish with my re-building of the 750 C&J-Wood Ducati bike, as I scour pic after pic of his details. I reference a lot of his C&J Norton's because not many of the Duc pics exist. It was a shame it got partially parted-out in the late 70's by a bikeshop owner in Arizona -prior to my rescue of what was left. Thankfully the frame, swingarm, wheels-suspension, brake parts & sideplates were not sold off.

Attachments

• Ron Wood Norton right lower side 1.jpg
    Ron Wood Norton right lower side 1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 20

AHRMA92

Dec 9, 2020
Perhaps the last of the Ron Wood Builds might have been this Honda that Chad Close raced @ the Perris 1/2 mile in 2017.

Attachments

• Ron Wood Africia Perris MarkMarabella 2017.jpg
    Ron Wood Africia Perris MarkMarabella 2017.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 22