XG750

jerry57g

Dec 11, 2020
Looks like Harley is discontinuing the XG750 in 2021. What are the rules of AMA on the use of a discontinued bike as a platform to race?

dennisvft

Dec 9, 2020
Here is an excerpt from the press release issued by Vance & Hines:

"Vance & Hines employees were informed earlier today that the Indy Operations Team will be refocused on performance products for two and four-wheel vehicles and will be redeployed under the name Vance & Hines Racing Development Center (RDC). Vance & Hines will continue its racing tradition in 2021 with sponsored riders in a variety of racing series.

In addition, Vance & Hines will remain the sole licensee, manufacturer and seller of Harley-Davidson XG750R Production Twin motorcycles and Harley-Davidson XG750R Super Twin motorcycles. This racing variant of the Harley-Davidson Street 750 was the motorcycle that won the AFT Production Twins championship in 2020. The Production Twins bike is being manufactured and shipped to Harley- Davidson dealers at this time."

Reactions: bt24 and Calkins

jerry57g

Dec 11, 2020
So, I just looked at the 2021 HD lineup (at the HD site) No XG listed. Does the AMA allow it due to it still being made available in other countries? It's still homologated just not in the US.

oupa

Dec 20, 2020
So, I just looked at the 2021 HD lineup (at the HD site) No XG listed. Does the AMA allow it due to it still being made available in other countries? It's still homologated just not in the US.
Just my own personal, biased opinion, but I think AFT has seen the writing on the wall. If this sport is going to maintain the momentum it has re-gained, Harley HAS to remain involved - somehow. If H-D were to walk completely, or worse, be forced out by AFT regulation, without other brands with a similar following to fill the void, there's going to be a lot of empty seats in the stands! The Harley faithful may be dying off, but they still come to the races - by the dozens.
The problem I see with Harley's return to dealer sponsored riders instead of FACTORY sponsored riders, is simply that the dealers are in just as bad shape as the MoCo! How many are going to be able to afford it, especially as AFT rules make fielding a team more expensive every year? :(
I mean no disrespect to those who race premiere, but more than once last season, I almost turned the race off after the singles and production classes ran. When one of 3 or 4 guys is going to win every race, what's the point? If that is further reduced to a one-brand race??? 🥱

Calkins

Dec 10, 2020
Iowa Falls, Iowa
I don't think it is fair to "blame" HD for not being involved. It is up to the team owners and owner/riders to pay the piper. It is them, just like the dealers, that can not afford to go this route or that. Like oupa just mentioned, the REAL SHOW is in the Singles and Production Twins classes. They have mostly open fields (AFT has put a cap on entries, which is retarded), and the racing is fantastic for that. Just look at DD the first race of the year, he didn't make the Main! That can not happen in 'un'Super Twins, which I feel is part of that show being boring.

As of the 2020 season, the XR750 was still a legal bike in ST. No one can afford to run and repair them, and it just might be that only a few tracks fit their power. The XL883 is legal, too.

https://www.americanflattrack.com/storage/app/media/uploaded-files/2020-AFT-Approved SuperTwins.pdf

As of the 2020 season, the XL883 was legal for both PT, too. But, that class has an 800cc limit.

https://www.americanflattrack.com/s...-files/2020-AFT-Approved-Production-Twins.pdf

As for me, I bleed Triumph blue, with a touch of Husqvarna and Royal Enfield. I am bummed out that Huskies (799cc parallel twin) has not come out with a Production Twins team yet, as has been talked about. But, Bill Gately is on board for the entire 2021 season in PT, with a liquid Triumph. Rider has yet to be announced.

rats

Dec 14, 2020
Calkins, would you kindly direct me to where I can learn about the liquid-cooled Triumph? I'm not well informed -- a pitiful ignoramus, in fact -- about contemporary FT bikes, except (a little bit) the Japanese ones. Thanks.

James rats

Calkins

Dec 10, 2020
Iowa Falls, Iowa
Calkins, would you kindly direct me to where I can learn about the liquid-cooled Triumph? I'm not well informed -- a pitiful ignoramus, in fact -- about contemporary FT bikes, except (a little bit) the Japanese ones. Thanks.

James rats
Bill Gately of Bonneville Performance brought his first version of the liquid-cooled modern Bonneville to Williams Grove in 2019 with Jake Shoemaker as the rider. Since then, he has been polishing his combo with both engine and chassis refinements. The links below can point you towards the bike that Bill will be bringing to the 2021 Grand National tour. The rider is yet to be announced. The chassis is nothing that ever been on a Grand National bike before. It was on display at the 2020 Daytona event.

https://www.facebook.com/BonnevillePerformance

https://bonnevilleperformance.com

1611626000131.png

Reactions: horosho